- 2 1/2 cups zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick ( about 2 medium)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- 29 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese ( or low fat or fat free ricotta)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded ( I use 8 oz. divided)
- Cook zucchini in boiling water until fork tender, drain and set aside.
- Fry meat and onions until meat is brown and onions are tender. Add next 8 ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups.
- In small bowl slightly beat egg. Add cottage cheese and half of shredded cheese.
- In (1 1/2-qt.) baking-roasting pan arrange half of the meat mixture. Top with half of the zucchini and all the cottage cheese mixture. Top with remaining meat and zucchini.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.