Friday, October 19, 2018

How I am feeding my family of 7 for $80 this week


I see many posts online of "How I Feed My Family of  # for $#".  When I look at these posts, they're often full of cheap fillers like pasta, oatmeal, rice, and dry beans.  Hey, whatever works for them.  I'm not a fan of pasta or rice or dry beans for the main part of meals, and I don't eat oatmeal. However, circumstances limited my grocery budget for next week so I had to compromise.  After taking a quick inventory of my freezers and pantry, here's what I came up with:

Dinners (note that most are dairy-free):

  • Slow cooker chicken taco soup (no beer, I'll sub chicken broth instead) and corn chips.  Miss Dairy-Free will take her serving before we add cheese and the leftover sour cream that I found in the refrigerator.  Need canned tomatoes/chilies, can of black beans, can of chili beans, and corn chips.
  • Pressure cooker meatloaf, baked potatoes, green beans, tossed salad.  I had all of these ingredients on hand before shopping.
  • Pressure cooker hamburger goulash with steamed green peas, the only pasta meal for the week.  I needed canned tomatoes and frozen peas.
  • Baked chicken and gravy with mashed potatoes and peas/carrots mix or broccoli/carrots mix.  Use the chicken thighs purchased, need frozen peas if we go that route.  Everything else on hand.
  • Chicken pot pie made with leftover chicken from the freezer, homemade crust and gravy, homemade biscuit dough topping (made with almond milk instead of dairy milk), and a bag of frozen mixed veggies.  All ingredients on hand before shopping.
  • Pressure cooker beef stew.  All ingredients on hand before shopping.
  • Frozen meatballs in a homemade beef/mushroom gravy with mashed potatoes, mixed veggie salad.  Meatballs were made several weeks ago in a freezer-meal-making frenzy, and I had everything else on hand.

Food shopping receipts came to $42.01 at Aldi and $33.62 at Meijer.  That total of $75.63 includes a family pack of 10 chicken thighs @ 69¢/lb. (sale) and 2 family packs of boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.69/lb. (sale).  Those 2 packs of breasts repackaged into 7 quart bags of 2 breasts each, enough for a 7 meals.   It also includes items for lunches, 3 lbs. butter, 2 doz eggs, 1 pkg. bacon, 1 lb. cheese, 1 gallon milk, 1/2 gallon almond milk, coffee and coffee creamer.  Breakfasts are typically eggs,bacon, or pancakes made from scratch with canned fruit or syrup.  Coffee is a must.

I already have the beef needed for the menu, but that was only $3/lb.  Add in $19.50 for the beef (2 lb each for meatloaf and meatballs, 1 lb. for the hamburger goulash, 1 1/2 lb. stew meat) but then take off $15.29 for the chicken breast that I won't be using, and that's just under $80 for hearty, healthy, filling meals for 6 adults and an almost-1-year-old,without a lot of typical fillers.  I feel that this is a pretty economical amount.

Also note that I work outside the home a full 6 days a week, so these are all dinners that can be prepped ahead of time, made in the crock pot, made in the pressure cooker, or are quick to fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment