Monday, November 7, 2016

Baked Chicken and Gravy

My apologies for not posting for so very long.  As happens to many, work consumed much of my time for the past year.  Unfortunately, this led to an injury this summer that forced me to re-evaluate my priorities.  It also necessitated the need for quick/easy/fairly healthy recipes that I could prepare while recovering.  Many of them are now additions to my collection.

I'm back!

This recipe came about as I needed to satisfy a craving for fried chicken, gravy, and mashed potatoes.  I was not able to stand at the stove and cook, so I found another alternative:

Baked Chicken and Gravy

  • 3 lb. chicken parts, or use all breasts if you prefer
  • 1/2 to 3/4 c. all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
  • 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper


Gravy:

  • 1/2 c. butter
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • 4 c. water
  • 4 tsp. chicken bouillon granules or 4 bouillon cubes, crushed
  • 1 tsp. salt


Mix flour, salt, seasoned salt, and pepper.  Coat chicken pieces in flour mixture and brown in pan in melted butter or oil until browned on both sides (meat does not have to be cooked through.  Transfer to baking dish.

Make gravy by melting butter, then adding flour.  Add 4 c. water slowly, whisking constantly to remove lumps.  Bring to a boil (mixture should thicken slightly.)  Add chicken bouillon and salt.  Stir until mixed well.  Pour over chicken.

Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 1 1/2 hours until chicken juices run clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment