Sunday, December 9, 2018

Christmas Cookie Baking 2018: Peppermint Mocha Cookies

This is an amazing cookie!  I've never made them before, but these are definitely going to be repeated in the future.

I found a recipe on Pinterest and tried it with enthusiasm.  As with all new recipes, I followed it to the letter.  The result was a disappointing mess.  The cookies spread all over the pan and had (to me) an overwhelming peppermint taste.  I walked away in frustration.  I thought about it.

Then I came back.  With a few changes, I could fix this!  This time I didn't melt the butter, I added 1/4 c. more flour, added baking powder, and added an egg.  I changed the baking instructions, too.  Here's the result.

Peppermint Mocha Cookies
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, at room temp
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
3 Tbsp. instant espresso powder, dissolved in 3 Tbsp. water
2 1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. (1 pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c. not-quite-crushed (small pieces) of peppermint candies or candy canes (2 boxes needed).  Important to discard the peppermint powder created by crushing the candies and use only the small chunks

Cream together butter and sugars.  Add eggs, vanilla, and espresso.  Mix well.  Sift together flour, soda, baking powder, and salt.  Add to mixture and mix well.  Fold in chocolate chips and peppermint candy pieces.

Form 1 Tbsp. of mixture into ball and place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet or line the pan with parchment.  Bake in 350°F oven for 9 minutes.  Let cool for 1 minute on pan before carefully removing with a sharp spatula.  The peppermint candy is soft and can stick to the pan, so be patient.



Better yet, use peppermint chips (like chocolate chips but peppermint flavored) instead of the peppermint candies.


No comments:

Post a Comment