Friday, March 11, 2011

Homemade Jerky

This is one of my uncle's recipes. We made it this week (dried it last night) using thin strips of round steak and chicken breast. I haven't tried fish yet, but I think it would be GOOD!


Jerky

3/4 c. barbecue sauce (we used my honey BBQ sauce recipe from July 2009 posts)
1/2 c. molasses
1/2 c. honey or brown sugar
1/2 c. Tender Quick salt (curing salt)
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. liquid smoke (we used hickory)
2 Tbsp. garlic salt
2 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 Tbsp. dry mustard
1 Tbsp. ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients. Pour over strips of beef, venison, chicken or poultry in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate 36 hours, stirring every 2 hours. Hang strips to dry in warm oven for 12 to 15 hours (until meat is dry) or in a dehydrator (ours took about 8 hours to dry.)

I prefer to store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

  1. Rhonda, what temp would the oven be set at to use it for drying?

    ReplyDelete
  2. About 200°. I never used my oven for this, though; it's never empty long enough to dry the jerky.

    ReplyDelete