We had this tonight with homemade biscuits. This is a very thick stew. You can add more water if you like, but be careful to not dilute the flavor too much. If you don't eat meat, meatballs can be omitted.
Meatball Mushroom Soup
- 1/2 lb. ground beef or turkey
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/3 c. water (I used 1 1/2 c.)
- 1 1/3 c. milk (I used 1 1/2 c.
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. dried minced onion
- 1/2 tsp. dried minced garlic
- 1/4 c. quick-cooking barley
- 1/4 c. uncooked elbow mac (I'll leave this out)
- 1/4 c. uncooked long grain rice
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 (4 oz.) can mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- salt, pepper, beef bouillon if desired, to taste
Shape ground meat into 1 inch balls; set aside.
In a large saucepan, combine soup, milk and water; bring to a boil. Add Italian seasoning, onion, garlic, barley, macaroni and rice. reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.Meanwhile brown meatballs in a nonstick skillet (I put mine in a 350° oven for 15 minutes) until no longer pink. Stir carrot into soup; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer meatballs to soup. Stir in mushrooms and Parmesan cheese; season to taste and heat through.