Here's the menu:
Party Cheese Ball with crackers
Ham with choice of Ginger Mustard Sauce or Waldorf Sauce
Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole
Green Bean Casserole
Ambrosia Jello Salad
Seven Layer Salad
Pumpkin Cake Roll
and the recipes:
PARTY CHEESE BALL
- 2 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
- 2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp. chopped pimento
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped green pepper
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped onion
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
You may also opt to roll the cheese ball in grated or finely chopped nuts!
Serve with Triscuits, Ritz crackers or any other appetizer cracker!
Ginger Mustard Sauce (this was SOOOOO good!)
- 1/3 c. minced onion
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. white or black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. Dijon or spicy brown mustard
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 Tbsp. vinegar (I used white vinegar)
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. whipping cream (I used evaporated milk)
In a small bowl, combine mustard, egg yolks, vinegar, and brown sugar and beat well. Add a spoonful of the hot onion mixture and stir well. Then stir all of the mustard mixture into the saucepan.
Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened. Stir in whipping cream. Cool 15 minutes, then chill until cold.
Waldorf Sauce for ham
- 2 c. apple juice or cider
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 c. sliced celery
- 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 c. chopped apple
- 1/4 c. coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp. raisins
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 tsp. cornstarch dissolved in 1 Tbsp. water
In a skillet cook celery in butter until tender but not brown. Stir in apple juice, chopped apple, walnuts, raisins and brown sugar; cook over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
Stir cornstarch water mixture into the apple mixture. cook and stir about 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Serve warm or cold with ham.
Cheesy Broccoli Rice casserole
- 16 oz. frozen broccoli, cooked and drained
- 2 c. cooked long grain rice
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 4 Tbsp. butter or margarine, divided
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 1/4 c. milk (I used evaporated milk, left over from the ginger mustard sauce)
- 1 4 oz. can mushrooms, undrained
- 2 c. shredded American cheese, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. bread crumbs
In a large bowl, combine the broccoli and rice; blend well.
In a saucepan, cook the onion in 3 Tbsp. butter until softened. Add the flour and stir until blended. Stir in the milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add mushrooms with liquid and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir into the broccoli and rice mixture and spoon into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining 1/2 c. of cheese.
Melt remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs; sprinkle over the casserole. Bake for 25 minutes until hot and bubbly and topping is browned.
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 1 large can sweet potatoes, drained
- 1/4 c. margarine
- 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 10 oz. bag miniature marshmallows
Use an electric mixer to mash the potatoes. Blend in the margarine, brown sugar, orange juice, and cinnamon. Spread evenly into a 9 x 13 baking dish. Top with miniature marshmallows.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven until marshmallows are puffed and golden brown.
Green Bean Casserole:
- 4 cups (32 oz.) regular cut green beans, cooked
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 c. milk
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 2.8 oz. can french fried onions, divided
Ambrosia Jello Salad
- 2 small boxes orange Jello (regular or sugar-free)
- 2 c. boiling water
- 2 c. ice water
- 20 oz. can crushed pineapple
- 10 to 12 oz. can mandarin oranges
- 1/4 c. shredded coconut
Pumpkin cake roll
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FILLING: In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, 1 cup confectioners' sugar, butter, and vanilla until well blended and smooth.
ASSEMBLY: Unroll cake onto towel. Peel off wax paper. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over cake. Using towel, roll up cake and place seam-side down on serving platter. Trim ends of cake. Enjoy right away or refrigerate until ready to serve. Sprinkle cake with additional confectioners' sugar just before serving.