Saturday, July 7, 2018

Hot German Potato Salad

It's been a while since I last posted!  I've been busy with gardens and another wedding and grandkids (now numbering 8) and went back to work full time. 

Enough with excuses.  I like having all of my recipes in one place, and last night realized that I stand to lose some of them if I don't keep them here.  So, here's another family favorite that's definitely comfort food:


Hot German Potato Salad

9 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 to 3/4 cup diced onion
6 to 8 slices of bacon
2 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. celery seeds
1/8 tsp. black pepper
3/4 c. water
1/3 c. vinegar

Cook potatoes to fork-tender using your preferred method.  I like to use my pressure cooker, but they can also be boiled.

Cook bacon to almost-crispy stage.  Remove from pan and drain all but 2 to 3 Tbsp. of bacon fat from the pan.  Saute onions in the bacon fat.  Crumble the bacon and set aside.

Mix flour, sugar, salt, celery seeds and black pepper in a small bowl and add to sauteed onions in bacon fat in the pan.  Stir and cook for about a minute. 

Add the water and stir until smooth, then add the vinegar.  Remove from heat and stir in hot cooked potatoes and bacon.

Serve.

We enjoy serving kielbasa with this dish, or in it, with coleslaw as a side.

No comments:

Post a Comment