You can also use less bread, or omit it altogether for a baked frittata.
Ham, Asparagus, and Cheese Strata
- 1 lb. asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 12 slices bread
- 2 cups smoked ham, cut into 1/2 inch or smaller cubes
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh chives or green onion
- 2 c. grated cheddar cheese
- 1 c. grated parmesan cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 1/2 c. milk
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon or spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
Cook the asparagus in boiling salted water until tender. Drain.
Tear half of the bread slices into 1 inch pieces and layer in the bottom of a greased baking dish (9 x 13). Top with half of the asparagus, ham, chives or green onion, and cheeses. Repeat the layers.
Blend the eggs with milk, mustard, and pepper until frothy and pour over the layers in the baking dish.
Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 45 minutes.