Saturday, May 30, 2009

We have a birthday boy today!

My third son, Dylan, is turning 12 today...his last year of being a tween! In honor of the birthday cake, which I decorated myself, I'm posting my favorite frosting recipe that I use when I decorate cakes. My BFF Lisa shared this with me several years ago and although it's pretty sweet it's always a hit.

Decorating Frosting
  • 1/2 c. Crisco shortening
  • 1/3 c. marshmallow creme
  • 3/4 tsp. pure vanilla (not the extract! if you can't get the pure stuff use double the amount of clear vanilla extract)
  • 1/4 tsp. butter flavoring
  • 1/4 tsp. almond flavoring
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 lb. powdered sugar
Mix all ingredients on low with your mixer. When they are mixed, whip at high speed until fluffy! (I love my KitchenAid stand mixer!)


As long as I'm posting a frosting recipe, I'm going to post our favorite chocolate frosting recipe, found on a box of Hershey's baking cocoa!

Chocolate Lover's Frosting
  • 1/2 c. butter or margarine
  • 2/3 c. baking cocoa
  • 5 - 6 Tablespoons milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3 cups powdered sugar, divided
Mix butter, cocoa, milk vanilla and 1 cup of powdered sugar with your mixer. Add the rest of the powdered sugar, a cup at a time and mix well after each addition. Whip on high speed until fluffy and lighter in color.

That's all for today, I have a birthday party to prepare for! ~hugs~

No comments:

Post a Comment